Hunting is never complete without a good knife as they are most beneficial in preparing the meat.
There are different forms of knife that a hunter needs to have. The specialized knives help in processing of the animal and helps in making it quick and easy.
Some of the most important hunting knives that a hunter carries are a gutting knife, de-boning knife, skinning knife, butchering knife etc.
These are used in different aspects of hunting, and often hunters also carry a set of knives for their ease. The knives are always made with great precision and care so that they are easy to use and are efficient.
Gutting knives are one of the most used knives in the hunting area. The gut hook knife has a hook feature in its back spine.
They are mostly trailing knives with the gut feature, but they can also be only gut hook knives. The specialty of the gutting knives is that they help in field dressing of the animal. The gut hook of the knife is inserted into a small cut places on the underside of the animal, and then the hunter pulls the knife to unzip the skin of the animal. The method helps the hunter to take out the organs of the animal, and it becomes easy for them.
The gut hooks are made by flattening a ‘c’ shaped metal portion, and they need special sharpeners to sharpen them. The sharpening part is the only disadvantage of a gutting knife as it can’t be sharpened to the entirety.
After you’ve purchased your knife, you’re going to need a sharper. Check out my buyers guide for hunting knife sharpeners by clicking here.
Things to look for when choosing a knife:
- The knife should either be fixed or foldable according to the taste of the hunter. Folding knives can be a little expensive, but they often come with different types of blades in one. In the fixed knives a good and protective sheath should be included.
- The hand guard of the knife should be comfortable and safe to use. A good hand guard prevents any unnecessary accident being caused while dressing an animal.
- The handle should also be non-slip and have an ergonomic design. This helps in proper grip and also increases the usability of the knife.
The above portion talks about everything that anyone would need to know about buying a gut hook knife. But for the proper utilization of the knife, they should always look forward to a person who knows its use.
There are several videos available on the internet talking about the use of hunting knives and also on dressing an animal in a proper way. In the section below some good gut hook knives are recommended so that a hunter beginning with hunting can choose a piece appropriate for their next hunting expedition.
The best gut hook knives available:
The knife is specially made for hunters and provides one with a good feel on their hands. The shape and size of the knife are just perfect for using on any animal of one’s choice. The knife is good to go and doesn’t slip when someone is utilizing it. The company has kept it at an affordable price point to help beginner have a go at it. Everything that comes with the knife is also of great quality when someone looks at its price point.
- The stainless steel blade is processed with high-carbon, and a rubberized handle is provided for better grip.
- The sheath has a dual lock to protect the knife, and it also has a built-in carbide sharpener for the blade.
- The overall length of the knife is 8.5,” and the length of the blade is 3.75”.
- The weight of the knife is 4.9 oz.
In conclusion, it can be said that this is a value for money knife. This knife can be used by beginners and professionals alike. Occasional sharpening of the blade will give good results, and it will be perfect to accompany in any expedition of the hunters choice.
This is a favorite knife of many hunters, and it also comes in camouflage print. This is also an affordable hunting knife that is great for skinning or dressing any animal. The knife is good to go for all kinds of hunting, and it is extra lightweight to add comfort to the hunter. It comes in an array of color to choose from, and it does everything that it claims to do for any hunter.
- The knife comes with a gut hook feature for skinning the animal.
- A striated thumb rest is provided in the knife to help in better grip and hold.
- A non-slip rubberized grip is also present in the knife to help the hunters.
- The overall length of the knife is 73/4”. The blade of the knife measures 31/4”.
- The company provides the buyer with a lifetime warranty on the product.
- The weight of the knife is about 7 ounces.
- Comes in different colors including the camouflage handle.
One of the best knives that are available on the market currently. This knife is not just a normal gutting knife, but it has a tonne of features that any hunter will find useful. This is a much-loved knife and has been raved about by its past users. This kind of knife has been there for a while and once used a hunter will definitely swear by it. It has a good built quality, and it is an awesome product at the price point that it comes.
- The knife’s blade is made of stainless steel, and a gut hook is present in its back spine.
- The drop point of the knife is 31/2
- The handle is adequately rubberized for better grip and grip ridges are also present in the knife.
- A black nylon sheath is also given with the knife which is used for protection.
- The box that the knife comes in includes the knife, sheath and a registration card for warranty.
- The knife comes with the trademark of Buck Knives to prove its originality, and the company provides a lifetime warranty on the knife.
- One can close the knife, and it becomes 5” when closed.
- The weight of the knife is approximately 8 oz.
The knife has an elegant and classic feel to it, and it is quite useful for any hunter. The hunting knife is like a knife that are classic hunting knives used by many people. The company is known for making brilliant knives, and this will be a good addition to a hunting knife collection. In conclusion, this is an ultra-affordable knife that looks classy. It can be used by all hunters as a beginning gutting knife. It can also be used for normal hunting, but with time they will need to upgrade to better knives.
- The knife has 5” handle made of Delrin.
- The blade is 3.5,” and it can be folded and it locks into the place.
- The blade is made of stainless steel of the 400 series.
- A nylon sheath is included.
- The knife weighs 5.6 ounces.
This is a specialized knife that has been designed for skin and gut animals. The design is perfect to fit into a pocket or a bag easily. The knife is a cult favorite among frequent hunters, and they swear by its quality. This can easily be used by beginners and is loved by professionals as well. The sheath can be attached to the belt and carried quite easily.
- The shape of the blade and the gut hook is provided to make dressing big animals easier.
- The handle has a fluorescent orange color to make it highly visible.
- The knife has finger grooves in ergonomic design which minimises the need to apply too much pressure.
- It comes with a fabric sheath.
This knife should be a part of every hunter who likes to hunt big animals. This makes the process easier and will never cause any harm to the user. It will also be easy to clean, and it is super affordable if the price is a concern to the hunter. This is a choice gutting knife for many.
These are some of the cutting knives that one can choose from. They are quite efficient and are able to do their job. But one always have to learn the right way to use a knife before actually judging any knife. So a good tutorial with any of these knives will yield great results in gutting any animal.